Thursday 19 August 2010

Great Opening Lines

"People often ask me how I know Tyler Durden"
- Fight Club

"Are you watching closely?"
- The Prestige

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
- The Terminator

"I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being."
- Stand By Me

"I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on, you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be 'Sir!' Do you maggots understand this?"
- Full Metal Jacket

"My name is Lester Burnham. This is my neighborhood. This is my street. This is my life. I'm 42 years old. In less than a year, I'll be dead. Of course, I don't know that yet. And in a way, I'm dead already. Look at me: jerking off in the shower. This will be the high point of my day. It's all downhill from here."
- American Beauty (Not quite the first line but close enough)

‎"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
- High Fidelity


"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster. To me, being a gangster was better than being President of the United States."
- Goodfellas

"Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies perse, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?"
- O Brother Where Art Thou?

"We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold."
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

-----------------------------------------------------
And the greatest of them all?

"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a f--king big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suit on hire purchased in a range of f--king fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the f--k you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sittin' on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f--king junk food into your mouth. Choose rottin' away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarassment to the selfish, f--ked-up brats that you've spawned to replace yourself. Choose a future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?"
- Trainspotting

No comments:

Post a Comment